I am known for being a pretty liberal chick with an open mind. However, a new type of relationship has been brought to my attention and I’m stumped. A friend recently introduced me to the idea of the ‘Throuple”. A throuple is defined as a relationship consisting of three partners. Perhaps this is not a new concept for you, but it certainly was for me. I’ve heard of open relationships and polyamorous life styles but never a, ‘Throuple’.
My friend continued to explain how this relationship came to be. Apparently two of these gentlemen have been together for almost ten years. They were legally married a few years ago and not long after they began a relationship with another man. Here’s where I get confused. How does this happen? Are these men bored with the relationship and this is their way of ‘spicing things up’? I’m certainly not trying to be judgmental, I just can’t understand how in the world it would work!
They say ‘three’s a crowd’ for a reason. In my experience when you are constantly in a group of three, someone is always odd man out. Wouldn’t this tend to apply in a throuple situation? Wouldn’t this ‘extra’ guy sort of be getting the short end of the stick? (no pun intended) Furthermore, we are finally breaking ground with marriage equality and situations like this certainly aren’t going to help the cause. Here are some other silly little reasons a Throuple would be a pain in the ass.
- It’s more difficult to get a table for three people rather than a table for two
- It’s bad enough you have to deal with one persons set of neurosis but now two?!
- Sharing a bed with two people would not make for a fun night.
- Double the Christmas presents, double the anniversary presents….this shit would add up quick!
- You can’t all ride together on theme park rides.
- There would be WAY too many hands in the popcorn bowl
- You can’t slow dance together without looking like a Junior High gym
- Kissing would always be a little messy & awkward